10/30/2006

Our Poop-Throwing Fundraiser

Just last weekend, I invented the MOST disgusting use of Jell-o, EVER. And the kids loved it.

The story is truly one of collaboration and community. It started in the planning for the Harvest Festival at my son's school. I got the idea from PTO Today to do a toilet-paper toss as a booth -- gross, but kids love it. Another mom wanted to do a "gooey/gross toss" with knox blocks. We combined the idea. A dad snickered that the Jell-o blocks should be brown and yellow. Okay. I made them with leftover orange juice, chocolate pudding, and--why not--a can of corn. My son thought of Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets. Great! A literary reference! What a collaboration! It was all coming together! I papered the outside of the can with photocopies from the book.

"Step right up!" I called. "Help Captain Underpants defeat the Talking Toilets!" The kids flocked to the table. "Wear underpants on your head and play for free!" (In my defense, they were brand-new undies.) "Wet or dry?" I let them choose what material to fling - the yellow stuff, the brown stuff, or the roll of toilet paper. "Kids, don't try this at home." The kids went about half and half, some pinching even the roll of TP with two fingers, some squishing the Jell-o between their fingers.

As this baby bacchanal progressed, however, the game got more and more gross. Sand stuck to the Jell-o when it fell on the ground. The brown stuff left skid-marks all over the toilet seat. Even the toilet paper got covered with goo. At one point I looked up to see a passerby with a look of abject horror on her face. What must she have been thinking? "Tra-la-laaa!" Welcome to Sequoia, where your kids can fling poo! What the heck. It's only a game.

1 comment:

kristine said...

Congrats on the first post!!! What inspired you, dear? Love the content. You should think about using same content and posting it on some of the parent social networks. I'm sure this information would be appreciated by other moms. (Not that I don't appreciate it, of course. I'm just thinking about how my puppies love toilet paper and we went through an entire Costco purchase over 3 months cause they always manage to find where we hide the stuff.)

Kristine